I’ve been working on this list for a while now. My original intent was to publish this post on January 1st but I had a lot of music and mixed cd’s to go through! I also complicated matters by deciding that I would stick only to songs on albums released in the appropriate year – my “favourite” cd’s typically have recent releases mixed in with favourites from long ago – so that meant I had to research to determine when each album and associated song was released. I also stayed away from compilations or “best of” albums. It was really hard for me to pick just one song from each year and in some cases I confess, I simply pulled a name from a hat. I also looked at how often the song was played and how many times the same song appeared on different mixes.
So, here’s my favourite songs of the decade:
- Fugitive, David Gray (2009)
- Violet Hill, Coldplay (2008)
- Your Love Alone Is Not Enough, Manic Street Preachers (2007)
- I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor, Arctic Monkeys (2006)
- Soul Meets Body, Death Cab for Cutie (2005)
- Wisemen, James Blunt (2004)
- White Flag, Dido (2003)
- Harder To Breathe, Maroon 5 (2002)
- Have A Nice Day, Stereophonics (2001)
- Bohemian Like You, The Dandy Warhols (2000)
I just can’t believe how hard it was to pick just one song as there was so much good music released this decade. I will post my favourite mixes for each year soon – either as a post or on a separate page of the blog. There are so many great songs and bands that I listened to over the past 10 years and I want to get them all listed.
Any surprises on my list? What would your favourites look like?